1984 m1009 Cucv ''Camper Crawler''

• HTML tutorial

AmericaMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Iowa
Member #

Hello all, my name is Mike. I am a new member ( #13695 ) out of Iowa . I will be posting updates on my Cucv build every week. I have been a follower on YouTube for a while now. I have a pretty busy schedule so updates on here will be once a week hopefully depending on time. In the last month or so I have been cranking down and putting time in the build. I purchased the truck last year and the rockers,floors and body mount were completely rotted away. I stripped the entire truck down removed every bolt and started fresh. I replaced the bedsides, front and rear floors, rockers,bed floor ,all body support mounts on floors and used a donor k5 blazer for a new firewall that was rotted. All of the b-pillars were rotted and I had to make new ones since they are not reproduced.

Well let’s get on with the build pics. I’m really looking forward to getting out on the trails and meeting you all.

Parts list so far.

: diy4x shackles flip with 54 inch Tahoe springs in rear

:diy4x b52 front spring swap with 52 inch k5 springs in front

:diy4x HD FRONT shackle hangers

:Northwest fab dana60 highsteer kit

:h1 beadlocks and bfg Baja ta’s

:12v p pump Cummins engine

:NV4500 Cummins trans with Chevy main shaft and full rebuild and a np208 transfercase

:Dana 60 drw front axle and van 14bolt rear with 4.56 gears

Last edited:

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

Had a few hiccups this weekend. Should have body on by Saturday.
Theres always something that comes up. I spent a lot of time sitting and staring, running things through my mind so that I could avoid future problems and also make things more serviceable in the future. For example I modified my engine cross member, I cut in the middle, plated it and bolted it together. I'm glad I did because 2 weeks ago I swapped out my oil pump for a high flow unit. I was able to simply remove my now 2 piece (technically 4 piece) cross member and drop the oil pan straight down.

Still though theres a couple things I couldn't foresee without the cab on the chassis. For example my shock hoop on the driver's side bumps the steering column when I go hard right. Not a big deal but it's one of those hiccups.

I have plans to go with a 12 valve in the future but my 350 crate motor only has 25k-30k miles on it so it's hard to justify the time and expense... So yeah, I'm watching with excitement to see how your build goes and how it runs and drives when your done.

-Drooling-