Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Cumming, GA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

Hey y'all. new here to the channel and to Overlanding as well. About 6months ago i traded my '16 Tacoma for a new '19 Tundra (bigger cab for the family and trips). Everything on it is stock (including those highway tires). I wanted to get some suggestions on what the top 3 changes/modifictaions i should make first. Obviously need to get a good set of A/T tires on it.

If you all could give me a top 3 list of first mods i should make, and also any particular brands that you trust (nothing too $$, if you can LOL)

Thanks!

RMCM

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Bellevue, NE, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Esquibel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5FMF
Service Branch
USMC/USN
Read the other day that you should start from the street first; tires and sliders. Then move up from there.

Reactions: Dvg350

ckkone

Rank 0

Traveler I

SLC, UT
1. Tires
2. Onboard air, Victory makes a bracket for the Tundra to mount an ARB compressor.
3. Some sort of auxiliary power setup.
4. Fridge

Dvg350

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Cumming, GA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

as far as tires go i was either looking into the General Grabber A/T or the Nitto Terra Grappler G2. Any difference between the 2 or any other brand i should be looking at?

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

on my '16, I went from 255/70/18 to 275/70/18's.. new Bilstein shocks 5100's and 6140's. Levelled the front...and DIY'd a bed topper.. I sleep in the bed on top of a Decked system..those were 1st 3 mods.. I have Cooper ST Maxx.. This summer I'll be getting a new set..Might switch to ST Pro.

Dvg350

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Cumming, GA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

on my '16, I went from 255/70/18 to 275/70/18's.. new Bilstein shocks 5100's and 6140's. Levelled the front...and DIY'd a bed topper.. I sleep in the bed on top of a Decked system..those were 1st 3 mods.. I have Cooper ST Maxx.. This summer I'll be getting a new set..Might switch to ST Pro.
Was your '16 a TRD already by any chance? I was told by the dealer that the TRD off-road/sport model that the suspension was the same as my SR5. For basic Overlanding in the southeast (no rock crawling or anything) wasn't sure if it needed a more robust suspension at some point. Wasn't going to lift it for right now either

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Was your '16 a TRD already by any chance? I was told by the dealer that the TRD off-road/sport model that the suspension was the same as my SR5. For basic Overlanding in the southeast (no rock crawling or anything) wasn't sure if it needed a more robust suspension at some point. Wasn't going to lift it for right now either

Actually, I'm pretty sure its just a base SR5 model.. Has column shift, and "pass through" front seating. The front sway bar and end links are pretty stout but generally, aren't the TRD parts painted red? My suspension parts are all dark grey/black in color..

Dvg350

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Cumming, GA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

Actually, I'm pretty sure its just a base SR5 model.. Has column shift, and "pass through" front seating. The front sway bar and end links are pretty stout but generally, aren't the TRD parts painted red? My suspension parts are all dark grey/black in color..
Good info to know. My SR5 suspension is also same grey dark color. I'll probably keep the suspension stick for now but within 2yrs look for an upgrade.

Reactions: Scout

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Good info to know. My SR5 suspension is also same grey dark color. I'll probably keep the suspension stick for now but within 2yrs look for an upgrade.

I now have the ICON RXT rear leaf springs. But they weren't within my 1st 3 mods..haha.. Other than that I still have stock suspension.