Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Are you planning to stay camped in the same location or move with the travel?

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Not a facebook user how do we get the details?
Here's some info: Come on out to the 2nd Annual Colorado Mountain Jam! We’ll be campin’ wheelin’ relaxin’ and sightseein’ for a week, throughout the breathtaking San Juan Mountains!

18 different trails are on the itinerary this year as well as a visit to Animas Forks, CO! For those brave enough to join, we will also be running Black Bear Pass AT NIGHT!!!

In addition to the sightseeing along the trails, we’ll hang out in Telluride and ride the Gondola into Mountain Village. We’ll swing down to Silverton and take a tour of the Old Hundred Gold Mine, a 1 hour tour starting with a 1/3 mile rail-cart ride into a mine drift inside Galena Mountain where we’ll walk thru the mine and see demos of the equipment the miners once used. We’ll visit the Ouray County Museum, see artifacts of the rich mining history and how the town came into existence, and relax at the Ouray Hot Springs, which is a PERFECT mid-week intermission from trail-running! There are many other cool, fun things to do and see as well as cool places to eat and shop! We'll try to do a little bit of everything!

MEETING POINT:

OURAY BREWERY Rooftop Patio @ Noon
(Tune CB's and 2-ways to channel 11)
607 Main St
Ouray, CO 81427
(38.022784, -107.671412)

CAMPSITE:

TBD

*This is not a club or sponsored event, everyone should come prepared with their own camping, offroading, and recovery gear, as well as your own food, snacks, drinks, cold and warm weather clothing and swimming attire.

- The Hot Springs is about $22-ish including towel rental (bring quarters for the locker)

- The Old Hundred Mine tour is $18.95/per adult ($9.95/5yrs-12yrs, Free/under 5yrs)

- The Telluride Gondola is free

- Ouray Museum is $7.00/per adult ($3.00/6yrs-15yrs, Free/under 6yrs)

TRAIL ITINERARY:

Yankee Boy Basin
Governor Basin
Ophir Pass
Last Dollar Road
Mineral Creek
Engineer Pass
Hurricane Basin
Cinnamon Pass
Animas Forks
Bullion King Lake (1/3mi hike to the Lake)
Black Bear Pass
Imogene Pass
BLACK BEAR PASS NIGHT RUN
Picayne Gulch
California Gulch
Hurricane Pass
Corkscrew Gulch
Stony Pass
Kite Lake
Clear Lake

Venture Overland Gear

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Castle Rock, CO, USA
Member #

Here's some info: Come on out to the 2nd Annual Colorado Mountain Jam! We’ll be campin’ wheelin’ relaxin’ and sightseein’ for a week, throughout the breathtaking San Juan Mountains!

18 different trails are on the itinerary this year as well as a visit to Animas Forks, CO! For those brave enough to join, we will also be running Black Bear Pass AT NIGHT!!!

In addition to the sightseeing along the trails, we’ll hang out in Telluride and ride the Gondola into Mountain Village. We’ll swing down to Silverton and take a tour of the Old Hundred Gold Mine, a 1 hour tour starting with a 1/3 mile rail-cart ride into a mine drift inside Galena Mountain where we’ll walk thru the mine and see demos of the equipment the miners once used. We’ll visit the Ouray County Museum, see artifacts of the rich mining history and how the town came into existence, and relax at the Ouray Hot Springs, which is a PERFECT mid-week intermission from trail-running! There are many other cool, fun things to do and see as well as cool places to eat and shop! We'll try to do a little bit of everything!

MEETING POINT:

OURAY BREWERY Rooftop Patio @ Noon
(Tune CB's and 2-ways to channel 11)
607 Main St
Ouray, CO 81427
(38.022784, -107.671412)

CAMPSITE:

TBD

*This is not a club or sponsored event, everyone should come prepared with their own camping, offroading, and recovery gear, as well as your own food, snacks, drinks, cold and warm weather clothing and swimming attire.

- The Hot Springs is about $22-ish including towel rental (bring quarters for the locker)

- The Old Hundred Mine tour is $18.95/per adult ($9.95/5yrs-12yrs, Free/under 5yrs)

- The Telluride Gondola is free

- Ouray Museum is $7.00/per adult ($3.00/6yrs-15yrs, Free/under 6yrs)

TRAIL ITINERARY:

Yankee Boy Basin
Governor Basin
Ophir Pass
Last Dollar Road
Mineral Creek
Engineer Pass
Hurricane Basin
Cinnamon Pass
Animas Forks
Bullion King Lake (1/3mi hike to the Lake)
Black Bear Pass
Imogene Pass
BLACK BEAR PASS NIGHT RUN
Picayne Gulch
California Gulch
Hurricane Pass
Corkscrew Gulch
Stony Pass
Kite Lake
Clear Lake
THANKS NEAL!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Blacktrax

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler III

Albuquerque, NM
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Phaneuf
Member #

Thanks for all the info above.....Can most of the trails you have listed above be done in a stock 2017 trail rated Grand Cherokee? Wondering how much rock crawling there may be.....?

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Thanks for all the info above.....Can most of the trails you have listed above be done in a stock 2017 trail rated Grand Cherokee? Wondering how much rock crawling there may be.....?
Yes! I've done many of them in a stock Chevy Avalanche.

There are rocks. It's possible you might scrub underneath a little or scuff a wheel. Any difficulty is usually just the navigation of tight switch backs combined with the pucker factor of the altitude and shelf roads.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Blacktrax

Blacktrax

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler III

Albuquerque, NM
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Phaneuf
Member #

Excellent then... Thank for the info. Hoping that the factory skid plates that came on my jeep help...
Chances are I can't make this trip- that thing called work is getting in the way but will certainly be trying to find time before the snow flies up there to hit the trails with fellow members.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
My thanks to all that helped make this a great event!

Special thanks to Tyler and Adam for hosting, Tyler for all the spotting advice, Mike for his tire air setup, everyone for being patient with me running a stocker, those who chummed the bear, those who stood watch on bear patrol, and finally the bear for making it all interesting!

After running Yankee Boy Basin, Governor Basin, Mineral Creek, Engineer Pass, Corkscrew, Hurricane, Picayne, Placer, Ophir, and Imogene all in a stock full size, the worst damage I got was a cracked windshield while on the pavement drive home! I guess that was because Tyler wasn't there with his excellent spotting skills!

Lost-Again

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Texas
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Again
Member #

I'm headed that way in September. It would have been nice to be in such a group. Maybe next year. I'll skip the night time pass. Too scary!