Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Travel the back country between Prineville and Seneca Oregon, along a modified version of the Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route (route 4).

Primary communications: GMRS Channel 20 - No Privacy Code - 462.6750 Mhz
I have extra hand held units - a GMRS license is no longer required if you are using a hand held radio (FRS type) that is 2 watts or less.

Secondary communications:
  • FRS (I have extra hand held units)
  • CB (I can't find mine to reinstall it)
Emergency Communications:
  • HAM (of course, nothing is stopping HAMs from talking to each other)
  • Cell Phone

for sign up information.

View Rally Point

Attachments

Last edited:

peterver63

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Vernon, WA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Verschoor
Member #

Excellent, thanks for organizing this. This will be my first adventure with you all, and i would like to know if having a radio is a *must*. Don't have one yet, but i can try to have one installed before the trip.

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Excellent, thanks for organizing this. This will be my first adventure with you all, and i would like to know if having a radio is a *must*. Don't have one yet, but i can try to have one installed before the trip.
I usually use FRS/GMRS as the primary mode of communications on my trips. Partially because you can get them pretty cheep (handheld), the quality is (in my opinion) superior to CB, and they don't require a test like HAM does.

Since the handhelds are usually purchased in pairs, there are usually extras floating around for people to use.

All that said, if there are a couple people without radios, on these trips, it isn't the end of the world as long as they pay visual attention to the vehicles around them.

Reactions: peterver63

BaldGuyBrigade

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Portland, Or
Member #

We are very excited as this will be our first trip with OB. My wife and daughter will be coming along. Is anyone else bringing family? If so I’m going to buy a set of kids radios so they can have their own banter channel.

Reactions: Derbydude

Luinil Explorations

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Wherever I am at the moment
First Name
Larrie is
Last Name
sharing our travels with the world.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7WDX
Am a maybe. Would love to join the group as this is a route I have been wanting to do. Will have just gotten back the from a five week 5K mile trip around the SW and mainland Mexico. Have to see how much stuff there is to do around the homestead and how I feel.

Reactions: jdunk

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

We are very excited as this will be our first trip with OB. My wife and daughter will be coming along. Is anyone else bringing family? If so I’m going to buy a set of kids radios so they can have their own banter channel.
I'm pretty sure @thehugs (OB1500) has a pair of teenagers coming along. Not sure if that's what you had in mind though...

Reactions: RainGoat

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
Can't wait! If someone has a CB and there aren't any spare handhelds to go around I can relay stuff through CB for them. I'm also licensed for ham and gmrs.

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Josh, just looking at the titles, I couldn't quite tell which of your OR Backcountry VLOGs this section was? Unfortunately, I can't guarantee that my truck will be good to go by the trip date so I won't be able to join - maybe the August trip though....

Vlad

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Portland, OR
First Name
Volodymyr
Last Name
Vasylenko
Member #

...and of the 7 Days in a week it had to be Saturday, the only day I can’t do any work in...I’m officially sad :( Good luck to all who can go.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Josh, just looking at the titles, I couldn't quite tell which of your OR Backcountry VLOGs this section was? Unfortunately, I can't guarantee that my truck will be good to go by the trip date so I won't be able to join - maybe the August trip though....
I didn't run this section of the ORBDR on my trip last summer. What do you have left to do with the truck? I can't imagine that there will be much that requires a lot of modification.

Reactions: RainGoat

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I didn't run this section of the ORBDR on my trip last summer. What do you have left to do with the truck? I can't imagine that there will be much that requires a lot of modification.
Okay, well at least I was right that I couldn't find it.

With regard to my truck, everything went on hold for months when a power valve came loose & it's screw was sucked into the engine. (I know you know about that kind of thing from your dropped valve seat). Frankly, I'm furious at Nissan as they had a Class Action Lawsuit they lost for this problem in CA as well as technical bulletins on preventative fixes for the Maximas, Altimas & Sentras that shared the same engine. Inexcusably, they didn't notify other Pathfinder owners and I've been out of the forum scene for about a decade. Consequently, I didn't know about it until it happened. If I had, a couple hours work simply locktiting 12 screws in the intake manifold could have saved me. (Privately, faith in Japanese reliability is almost a religion for me so this episode really hurt me at my core - especially as I had just been sanctimonious when my Mom's 2006 JGC dropped it's valve seat last summer & killed that engine - this might all be payback for the self righteous comments I made about that).

This happened the day after Thanksgiving as we were going out to get a tree. I then spent a couple months soul searching, exploring GX & T4R alternatives but ultimately decided to rebuild the engine as I'm the original owner and know that the rest of my truck is in great shape. Plus I have some local R50 owners who can help me on a couple of the tricky issues (retrofitting the tire swingate). Also, I'm building out a 2018 T4R for my Mom which will be mine in a decade or more. The Path rebuild itself was an epic nightmare with the shop which ultimately led to a new JDM engine. Anyway, while all this was going on, I was researching & managing the purchase of my Mom's new truck & I put everything on hold on mine. Now it's pending a new off-road bumper with winch & suspension upgrades. All of that is in process but between family, work and other home projects (plus waiting on NPORA friends who are designing and fabricating the bumper mount & bumper itself) I'm not 100% sure I'll have it back together by the trip date. I didn't want to take up a space that someone else could enjoy when I was so uncertain of my availability. I'm a long term player, so it's okay. I look forward to future trips and really hope my schedule will allow me to join you for the end of summer trip! Thanks for inquiring and encouraging.
(Amusingly, you had an influence on my new bumper. It will likely have a front receiver in part due to your VLOG showing you turning your trailer around - I showed it to the two guys building the bumper mount & bumper as they both have trailers. Consequently, the incorporation of a front receiver was a late addition to the design). Have a good trip!!

Timothy Jones

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Portland Oregon
Member #

Hey me and my girlfriend are planning on going along on this trip and have been talking about her daughter going with us. My girlfriend wanted me to find out the age of any kids that may be going along and i figured id start with you since you mentioned your daughter tagging along.

Poncate

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Waitsburg, Wa
First Name
Jus
Last Name
Tin
Member #

Hey me and my girlfriend are planning on going along on this trip and have been talking about her daughter going with us. My girlfriend wanted me to find out the age of any kids that may be going along and i figured id start with you since you mentioned your daughter tagging along.
Are any kids under 10 going? If so, I may bring my son with. A little worried it may be too long a trip though.

Last edited:

Timothy Jones

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Portland Oregon
Member #

Are any kids under 10 going? If so, I may bring my son with. A little worried it may be too long a trip though.
My girlfriends daughter is 8 and we are just trying to find out if this would be a good trip for her. If she is going to be the only child that age on the trip my girlfriend may work something out fir her daughter to spend time with her dad instead of the trip.

Poncate

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Waitsburg, Wa
First Name
Jus
Last Name
Tin
Member #

My girlfriends daughter is 8 and we are just trying to find out if this would be a good trip for her. If she is going to be the only child that age on the trip my girlfriend may work something out fir her daughter to spend time with her dad instead of the trip.
Yeah, I hear you. I'm still on the fence too.

Poncate

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Waitsburg, Wa
First Name
Jus
Last Name
Tin
Member #

Reactions: Quicksilver

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Links to the snotel stations for Ochoco and Malheur NF.
Ochoco Meadows (OCMo3)
https://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/snow/snowplot.cgi?OCMO3
DERR (DER03)
https://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/snow/snowplot.cgi?DERO3
Clickable map of sites in Oregon
https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detail/or/snow/?cid=nrcs142p2_046181

Third graph shows depth, density and daily accumulation
With 5 weeks to go. I guess it might be prudent to start looking at alternative ideas... When I was out in Prineville a couple weeks ago, there wasn't much snow. Maybe we just play it the same as last year, and work the issues as the come.

If it's still really bad, we could always take the trail and head west through sisters, and then south on route 3. The elevations are lower.

Thanks for keeping an eye on things.

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
For those interested, my wife and I will be heading down to the Alvord Desert Monday after the trip, camp somewhere down there Monday night. Anyone is welcome to join!

Reactions: jdunk