Overland Expo 2018 WEST Caravan - Arizona Convoy - Overland Expo WEST - 05/17/2018

• HTML tutorial

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Ok, ok, I know we don't have that far to drive, but that doesn't mean we can't put together a great full-state convoy! The convoy will start in Tucson and work it's way up to Flagstaff stopping in/near Phoenix (and any other requested stops on the way) to collect members as we go.

View Rally Point
Reactions: Henk

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
The "Notes" section is a bit buried in Rally Point, so i'll post this comment here, too:

Departure/pickup times and places are up for discussion so put in requests if you have any. We are planning on driving up Thursday morning early, but will also consider leaving Wed afternoon/evening and then camping near Fort Tuthill that night.

Tentative idea: leave Tucson Thursday @ 5:30am, head to phoenix, meet up with folks in Phoenix at about 7. Depart Phoenix at 7:30, arrive in Flagstaff around 10:30/11 or so and get in line

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I will only be there on the 18th and 19th. Likely not camping. Have fun!

@AstroOverland

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

New River, AZ
First Name
Jestin
Last Name
Hashop
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7DJL
I'm north of Phoenix, in New River/Anthem

Any chance on having a meetup spot on the north side of town? Maybe at the Anthem Outlets or somewhere else close by?

Reactions: brien

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Yeah! Anthem Outlets seems like a great meetup spot - right off of 17. Seems like it will have easy access to get off/on the highway, too

SoCOTaco

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Monument, CO
Member #

The "Notes" section is a bit buried in Rally Point, so i'll post this comment here, too:

Departure/pickup times and places are up for discussion so put in requests if you have any. We are planning on driving up Thursday morning early, but will also consider leaving Wed afternoon/evening and then camping near Fort Tuthill that night.

Tentative idea: leave Tucson Thursday @ 5:30am, head to phoenix, meet up with folks in Phoenix at about 7. Depart Phoenix at 7:30, arrive in Flagstaff around 10:30/11 or so and get in line
This is my first year going- is it a mess to get into camp once you're there?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
This is my first year going- is it a mess to get into camp once you're there?
No, they are generally very well organized. If you are a veteran I recommend trying to camp at Ft Tuthill (sp). Clean, quiet, power, water and hot showers. Of course that may already be fully booked.

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
@Dog Pack Yep, cool We can either add another pickup spot off of I-10 or have you and your buddies meet us at the pickup spot proposed at Anthem Outlets off of 17

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Are y'all kinda sticking together as a group while up there? Im probably gonna be going up alone, so itd be cool to meet up with y'all and hang out, if y'all are down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using OB Talk mobile app
Yeah, that's the general idea. @Michael had mentioned in another thread getting some of us early arrivals to coordinate a larger section for OB if we can. Of course there is no assigned camping spots, it's first-come-first-served so we'll have to kinda play it by ear to some extent.

Venture Overland Gear

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Castle Rock, CO, USA
Member #

Yeah, that's the general idea. @Michael had mentioned in another thread getting some of us early arrivals to coordinate a larger section for OB if we can. Of course there is no assigned camping spots, it's first-come-first-served so we'll have to kinda play it by ear to some extent.
Sweet! I will have to forego the camping this year and will probably just be able to come up for Saturday. But I'd love to meet up with y'all and tag along. My cell is 303.717.0695

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using OB Talk mobile app

Livin the life

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Arizona
Member #

I am new on here ,this is my first day Posting. I live in Tempe and am planning on going . I am planning a 2 to 3 week overland trip, starting with the expo and will be available to meet on Thursday morning to caravan with others. Excited to meet others. I have been researching overlanding for about 2 years and working on 2 overland vehicles. A 2001 chevy 2500 and a 2000 4runner.

Reactions: brien

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

I'm very interested in attending and participating on the drive up but will have to play it by ear. I was laid off 2 weeks ago and who knows what my work situation will be at the end of may. Either way, I'll make a day trip up for the experience and to hopefully meet some local OB'ers.

AnthonyWeddle

Rank 0

Traveler I

Phoenix
I am interested in joining the caravan, but planned to camp dispersed in the woods nearby instead of at the expo (too expensive and crowded for my camping tastes). Is anyone else going this route?

Reactions: Henk

TimsterAZ

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tucson, Arizona
Member #

Wow, this is great!! Will be leaving from Tucson as well. First time attending, so being able to go up with fellow OB peeps would be great!! Is the departure time still 5:30am on Thursday in Tucson? Have you settled on a rally point as well. Thanks for all the info!! Looking forward to meeting everyone. Tim OB 8081

Sent from my SM-G955U using OB Talk mobile app

stokescr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mohave Valley, Mohave County, Arizona, United States
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Stokes
Member #

I am interested in joining the caravan, but planned to camp dispersed in the woods nearby instead of at the expo (too expensive and crowded for my camping tastes). Is anyone else going this route?
Yes I plan to disperse camp also in the National forest. I will caravan up and then find a place to camp. I live in Tucson.