Dave's 30th B-day Off Road Expedition through Death Valley! 3/1 - 3/4 - 03/01/2018

• HTML tutorial

OC Dave

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Anaheim, CA
Member #

Hey crew, for my 30th birthday coming up at the beginning of March, I will be heading out to Death Valley for 4 days, 3 nights of desert fun. I'm extending the invite to other Overland Bound members to come join me! Below you will find a brief itinerary and information regarding camping and preparedness.

View Rally Point

OC Dave

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Anaheim, CA
Member #

I've been meaning to go to Death Valley and this was the motivation I needed. Added benefit of having a recovery rig also helped my decision. Happy Birthday!
Right on, buddy! We'll keep in touch until then.

And for anyone else that's done these trails in Death Valley, am I cramming too much in on this route? Can I get through Coyote Canyon, Mengel Pass, and out to Badwater Basin in one day?

OC Dave

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Anaheim, CA
Member #

Happy early Birthday to you! Is this trip doable with a 2wd Tacoma with e locker? I really want to explore out there and I would to do this trip with a group.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using OB Talk mobile app
Hey bud! In my honest opinion, I wouldn't risk it. You might be able to partake in Thursday's and Saturday's trails, but Friday wouldn't work. I use trailsoffroad as one of my references. Here's a few links to give you an idea.

The hardest (Friday):
https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/792-goler-canyon

https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/935-mengel-pass

The hardest (Saturday):
https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/2828-chloride-cliff-road

Reactions: Vince Rothermund

Vince Rothermund

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Rosa, California, United States
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Rothermund
Member #

Hey bud! In my honest opinion, I wouldn't risk it. You might be able to partake in Thursday's and Saturday's trails, but Friday wouldn't work. I use trailsoffroad as one of my references. Here's a few links to give you an idea.

The hardest (Friday):
https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/792-goler-canyon

https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/935-mengel-pass

The hardest (Saturday):
https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/2828-chloride-cliff-road
Thanks for the info! My wife bought the truck before we were a thing. I just sold my 4x F350 and it looks like it is time to upgrade! [emoji106]

It would be great to meet up with a few of you at some point. I hate missing out on all of these runs.

OC Dave

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Anaheim, CA
Member #

Thanks for the info! My wife bought the truck before we were a thing. I just sold my 4x F350 and it looks like it is time to upgrade! [emoji106]

It would be great to meet up with a few of you at some point. I hate missing out on all of these runs.
I think you still could. The only difference is on Friday, you guys could do some hiking trails or other 2wd roads while we're out. A 2wd locker should be fine for Thursday's and Saturday's trails. The hardest one being Chloride City & Chloride Cliffs. Look into those if you're interested in that idea.

armymgdude

Rank IV

Advocate II

Olympia, WA
Right on, buddy! We'll keep in touch until then.

And for anyone else that's done these trails in Death Valley, am I cramming too much in on this route? Can I get through Coyote Canyon, Mengel Pass, and out to Badwater Basin in one day?
Mengel Pass in one day is doable, but there is a lot to see, like the Geologists cabin, Barker Ranch etc. And the actual pass is quite difficult in a stock vehicle. I have done it both directions in my power wagon, West to east is the easiest direction. East to West solo required front and rear lockers, lots of flex and my bridging ladders. There were stock Toyota parts littering the side of the trail.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Eric Neal

v_man

Rank IV

Advocate I

Redwood City
Panamint Springs>Goler Cny>Mengel Pass>Butte Valley>Badwater>Furnace Creek is doable in one day, I'd plan to be on the trail from PS by 8am if not earlier. Like mentioned above, you'd need to keep rolling and prioritize movement over sightseeing.

Just looking over your itinerary, I'm curious why you want to camp in campgrounds over back country camping? DV provides some of the best backcountry camping opportunities of any Nat. Park. Your route has many many cool opportunities for camping besides official campgrounds. Just curious...

Also to the person who asked about a 2wd on this route, if I was leading the trip, no way I would let a 2wd vehicle come along. Having a 2wd that *could* barely make it seems like inviting trouble or at the least, many potential delays to tow strap him through harder sections...just my $.02 based on having done your proposed route several times....

Congrats on such a cool birthday trip, I can't imagine a better way to turn 30...

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

I have only been in DV on one trip for 4 nites but ran on most of the trails mentioned and I have to firmly agree with v_man on his take about including a 2wheel drive vehicle. Sorry... I know of no one who wants to be "that guy" when the balloon goes up! We all want to go on any exciting trip but no one wants to be the weak link

OC Dave

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Anaheim, CA
Member #

Panamint Springs>Goler Cny>Mengel Pass>Butte Valley>Badwater>Furnace Creek is doable in one day, I'd plan to be on the trail from PS by 8am if not earlier. Like mentioned above, you'd need to keep rolling and prioritize movement over sightseeing.

Just looking over your itinerary, I'm curious why you want to camp in campgrounds over back country camping? DV provides some of the best backcountry camping opportunities of any Nat. Park. Your route has many many cool opportunities for camping besides official campgrounds. Just curious...

Also to the person who asked about a 2wd on this route, if I was leading the trip, no way I would let a 2wd vehicle come along. Having a 2wd that *could* barely make it seems like inviting trouble or at the least, many potential delays to tow strap him through harder sections...just my $.02 based on having done your proposed route several times....

Congrats on such a cool birthday trip, I can't imagine a better way to turn 30...
Hey, thanks for the info. Day 2 is a busy schedule. I may look into another possible scenario.
My main motif to choose campgrounds was I like to have campfires. Can't have campfires anywhere else in the park. I do like backcountry camping, the more I think about it, the more I'm interested in the idea.

Vince Rothermund

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Rosa, California, United States
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Rothermund
Member #

That was my intent in asking about 2wd. Never want to be "that guy".

Mack

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lodi, Ca
Member #

Mack here, new member. My son shared this adventure with me. We have both joined, and now a second son has joined. looking forward to meeting up on some trails. I currently have been trying to decide on the best vehicle for this, I have a completely rebuilt 1994 GMC Yukon and a 1999 Ford F250 with 7.3 diesel. Any suggestions? I am located in Central California.

Reactions: TRT87

OC Dave

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Anaheim, CA
Member #

Mack here, new member. My son shared this adventure with me. We have both joined, and now a second son has joined. looking forward to meeting up on some trails. I currently have been trying to decide on the best vehicle for this, I have a completely rebuilt 1994 GMC Yukon and a 1999 Ford F250 with 7.3 diesel. Any suggestions? I am located in Central California.
Mack, I don't know much about full size rigs, old or new, when it comes to off roading. I don't think some of these trails are suited for full size, longer wheel base vehicles. I would do your research on these trails and see if you think you're capable of tackling them. Thanks for your interest!

armymgdude

Rank IV

Advocate II

Olympia, WA
Mack, I don't know much about full size rigs, old or new, when it comes to off roading. I don't think some of these trails are suited for full size, longer wheel base vehicles. I would do your research on these trails and see if you think you're capable of tackling them. Thanks for your interest!
I did all the trails you are planning in a full-size. Mine is 19ft long and still made trails that said short wheelbase recommended. Suspension flex and or lockers is the key. The picture is Mengel pass.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OC Dave

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Anaheim, CA
Member #

Guys, I've made a change to the route. Mostly just to Thursday.

We'll be going straight to Ballarat and to Goler Canyon. We'll dry camp within the area, maybe near Lotus Mine, maybe near Barker Ranch, but somewhere along that area. This way, we won't be so rushed going through Mengel Pass, Butte Valley, Warm Springs and we can get out and explore the abandoned sites more.

Cerro Gordo and camping at Panamint Springs has been removed from the route.

Mack

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lodi, Ca
Member #

T

Juggernaut

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Ca
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Hart
Member #

Wish I'd seen the post sooner, would like to have made it out. Anyway, keep safe. Happy Birthday!

Reactions: OC Dave