12 Volt fridge/battery issues

• HTML tutorial

Nate Romero

Rank IV

Influencer II

So we picked up the Costway 63QT fridge and fell in love with it from the moment I unpacked it. We ran it for a total of about 30hrs in the back of the truck hooked to a secondary truck battery that is not wired to the charging system of the truck. started the day at 13.2 volts and the fridge was set at "medium" battery saving mode. After about 30hrs of running it had drained my battery to the point that the fridge hit the limit for "safe" (11.7 volts)battery voltage. My question is.......does everyone run some sort of charging system for fridges and if so is anyone doing a solar setup? It was hot also.......80 to 90 deg for most of the two days
.FRIDGE.jpg

TrailHawkGuy

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Danville, CA, USA
First Name
Armin
Last Name
Pressler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GTZ
A couple of options :

Connect the house battery to the car via a Voltage Sensitive Relay Dual.

This charges the house battery while driving. If you camp longer without driving you need a solar set up which requires as solar charge controller and Solar Panels - I use 2x50 w renology flex panels which I mount to the roof rack while on tour

Setup works quite well for my needs. Hope this helps

Ps : and use appropriate wiring/fuses etc to be protected

Last edited:

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

This works for me, when in travel I have my 40qt. Engel in the back of the bed of my GMC. I have a separate fused 12v. outlet socket wired in the truck bed. It runs off my main cranking battery which is XS Power AGM. In camp it's plugged into my trailer which is a VMax 125ah AGM. At camp whether on sunny days I have my solar system producing power, over cast\cloudy days or camping under heavy tree foliage I have my trailer plugged into a 2000w inverter generator which charges my battery when needed. For shore power or generator my battery is charged by a 3 stage Powermax 55amp Converter Charger a\c to d\c.
082.JPG048.JPG023.JPG014.JPG004.JPG

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
This works for me, when in travel I have my 40qt. Engel in the back of the bed of my GMC. I have a separate fused 12v. outlet socket wired in the truck bed. It runs off my main cranking battery which is XS Power AGM. In camp it's plugged into my trailer which is a VMax 125ah AGM. At camp whether on sunny days I have my solar system producing power, over cast\cloudy days or camping under heavy tree foliage I have my trailer plugged into a 2000w inverter generator which charges my battery when needed. For shore power or generator my battery is charged by a 3 stage Powermax 55amp Converter Charger a\c to d\c.
View attachment 106279View attachment 106280View attachment 106281View attachment 106282View attachment 106283
That is one impressive install!

Nate Romero

Rank IV

Influencer II

I have really been looking into a solar panel for the roof of my truck to keep that battery topped off. We run all of our led lights and charging device station also off of that battery.

TrailHawkGuy

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Danville, CA, USA
First Name
Armin
Last Name
Pressler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GTZ
why don't you run dual battery & use the truck charging system to charge the battery when needed? You wont have to mount a solar panel & wire a charge controller. You would just run 10ga wire from the 12v. socket out let to a fuse then to the battery.
Agree in addition I would include a voltage sensitive relay to avoid draining the car battery

Nate Romero

Rank IV

Influencer II

It has been a thought of mine to run a solenoid off of the alternator to allow the truck to charge both batteries but not allow the 2nd battery to draw power off of the 1st battery. Up until now this has t been an issue as the most we have done is run my roof rack light for 3 or 4 hrs. I will more than likely do this setup so the truck can charge both batteries buy I also am thinking that I want some sort of solar to charge while at camp just in the off chance we dont move from camp for a couple of days.

trailhunter

Rank III

Traveler I

US
why don't you run dual battery & use the truck charging system to charge the battery when needed? You wont have to mount a solar panel & wire a charge controller. You would just run 10ga wire from the 12v. socket out let to a fuse then to the battery.
This.

I run a dual battery setup and both of them are powered while driving. I wired an outlet to the secondary battery in the back. Batteries are both AGMs. I can run the fridge for an entire week.

Reactions: Nate Romero

Nate Romero

Rank IV

Influencer II

This might be a bit of a dumb question but does the fact that I am using a normal truck battery instead of a deep cycle battery matter? if so why? I know the deep cycles can be run down and still be brought back but would it react differently to a low power drain than the battery I am currently using?

trailhunter

Rank III

Traveler I

US
Wtf is a truck battery? I think what matters most is the composition of the battery. An AGM battery is what you need. If your truck battery is an AGM/deep cycle battery then you should be fine.

Edit: a quick google search and some random link I clicked on has a good description of the differences Choosing a Battery for your Overland Rig

Reactions: Boort

Aaron Niemi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

I've run a dual battery setup with a 100W Renogy panel. I'm running my fridge 24x7 and park in a garage. I've yet to see my house battery drop below 12.6V with fridge on the highest/most intensive setting. With just the AGM house battery and solar, I'd probably get about 3-4 days depending on the weather but the linked dual battery setup keeps everything topped off while moving and no chance of killing my starting battery and can jump it from house battery via a touch of a button if needed.

It took a few iterations, but so far this has been the most reliable setup for me and did it all for under $500ish. If I were to do it again, I'd probably go with a Redarc so I wouldn't have a separate solar controller and charge controller.

TrailHawkGuy

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Danville, CA, USA
First Name
Armin
Last Name
Pressler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GTZ
I've run a dual battery setup with a 100W Renogy panel. I'm running my fridge 24x7 and park in a garage. I've yet to see my house battery drop below 12.6V with fridge on the highest/most intensive setting. With just the AGM house battery and solar, I'd probably get about 3-4 days depending on the weather but the linked dual battery setup keeps everything topped off while moving and no chance of killing my starting battery and can jump it from house battery via a touch of a button if needed.

It took a few iterations, but so far this has been the most reliable setup for me and did it all for under $500ish. If I were to do it again, I'd probably go with a Redarc so I wouldn't have a separate solar controller and charge controller.
Aaron,
Exactly the setup I have while being out there and it is worry free. Thanks for the Redarc suggestion have to look into that as i rev the solution.

What AmpH capacity is your House Battery and do you happen to have an idea on your Fridge draw ( my ARB uses approx 1-1.3 Amp/Hr - weather depending) ?

Thanks

Aaron Niemi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

My Dometic fridge pulls about 2.3 amp hours, per hour (according to tests from others). I forget what the AmpH capacity is on my house battery, I'll see If I can find it. Looking at my solar controller I'm currently getting 4A from my panel, today it's super cloudy out.

Reactions: TrailHawkGuy

trailhunter

Rank III

Traveler I

US
My Dometic fridge pulls about 2.3 amp hours, per hour (according to tests from others). I forget what the AmpH capacity is on my house battery, I'll see If I can find it. Looking at my solar controller I'm currently getting 4A from my panel, today it's super cloudy out.
Are you using the insulation cover?