PandaMonium 428

Rank IV

Traveler III

Carl Junction, Jasper County, Missouri, United States
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
O’Connell
Slightly better pic of it. Brush guard got the boot. Restored the plastic trim. Rebuilt the tranny. Made a bomb proof range selector compared to the horrible one from the factory.

Attachments

Last edited:

PandaMonium 428

Rank IV

Traveler III

First Name
Andrew
Last Name
O’Connell
I’m looking forward to following your build. I have an ‘06 Megacab 3500 and I’m always looking for ideas.
Hell yeah! Id love a megacab 3500. I’m probably going to do heavy springs and bags in the rear so i can tow but keep it somewhat usable offroad. My main problem at the moment is trying to find a roof rack for the quad cab that i can match to my camper shell. The shell has rails but i cant seem to easily find bars for it. Guess ill have to build one, and a ladder too. Do you have a thread on yours?

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
Hell yeah! Id love a megacab 3500. I’m probably going to do heavy springs and bags in the rear so i can tow but keep it somewhat usable offroad. My main problem at the moment is trying to find a roof rack for the quad cab that i can match to my camper shell. The shell has rails but i cant seem to easily find bars for it. Guess ill have to build one, and a ladder too. Do you have a thread on yours?
No build thread, but maybe it's time I do one. I bought the truck new in 2006 and most of the mods I did shortly after then. I should look for old pictures and put one together.

Good choice on the suspension, I've been running a mix of mostly Don Thuren's suspension with a little Carli thrown in since 2007. Don and I installed my components and revalved my Kings at his shop back when it was on an avocado farm in Goleta, CA! Both Sage and Don are good guys and build superb suspension components; I feel good about recommending their products to people.

My truck was originally build to go fast in the desert, so it won't carry a load any more without squatting severely, which is why I run Carli's air bag setup. It, unfortunately, limits travel a little, but not as bad as conventional air bag setups, and the ramp up of spring rate isn't as bad, either. After 12 years or so I just replaced the bags last weekend. I neglected them and blew one out not long ago.

Wish I could help you with your rack issue, but I have no clue about that stuff, haha. I took the easy way and went the pre-packaged route and bought a Leitner designs ACS forged setup.

Reactions: PandaMonium 428

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I have a 2500 quad cab with a 8ft bed( aka “ the white whale”) I have a custom rack that mounted to the top of the bed below the shell. It was 4 down post that are wider than the bed. It looks like a lumber rack.It extends over the cab 4 feet. I carry kayaks and surfboards on it. It hold everything I put on it. Make sure the down post ties into steel that runs the full length of the bed under the shell. A buddy built one and it crushed the bed where the feet tied into the bed. Check out the mfg’s of lumber racks in you area.

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

I am loving the full size dodge builds. I’ve got an 05 2500 with the 5.9 and a six speed. That 07 is a nice looking truck. Looks super clean. I am really curious about the hd Carli springs. I’ve got their sway bar and and hopefully going to continue piecing together one of their systems. So far I’m not sure what I want to do with the rear.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I called Carli and talked to a couple of folks there. one was more interested in driving dirt roads at high speeds, the other was talking to me about how I drive and where I go. The best thing was adding progressive springs on the rear end. I went from 4(?) to 10 springs. the unloaded ride is so mush better, the loaded ride is about the same.

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

I’m sure it made a world of difference. Are you running the standard springs or the hd springs? I am pretty sure I will be buying the hd springs, and hope they ride better than stock without the 1500 pounds in the bed at all times.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Mine are standard as I very rarely tow. It raised the back up about 2". The truck is a Driveway Queen, I lode it up and go someplace remote, my last truck was a 1/2 ton and I was tired of dragging ass. I did bag, it but the progressive are smooch better. I'll never run a leaf spring truck stock again. I is a game changer for me.

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Bad ass. Mine still has to pull trailers every once in a while. And the all steel camper shell I have weighs about 500 lbs. loaded for a fishing trip I might have 1000 lbs of gear. And I’ll bet a couple hundred pounds more for a hunting trip. And rarely do I camp without a trailer. Either my old willys trailer or my side by side trailer. I think the hd are gonna be what I need. Absolutely don’t want the reverse rake pre runner look.

Reactions: MMc

PandaMonium 428

Rank IV

Traveler III

First Name
Andrew
Last Name
O’Connell
No build thread, but maybe it's time I do one. I bought the truck new in 2006 and most of the mods I did shortly after then. I should look for old pictures and put one together.

Good choice on the suspension, I've been running a mix of mostly Don Thuren's suspension with a little Carli thrown in since 2007. Don and I installed my components and revalved my Kings at his shop back when it was on an avocado farm in Goleta, CA! Both Sage and Don are good guys and build superb suspension components; I feel good about recommending their products to people.

My truck was originally build to go fast in the desert, so it won't carry a load any more without squatting severely, which is why I run Carli's air bag setup. It, unfortunately, limits travel a little, but not as bad as conventional air bag setups, and the ramp up of spring rate isn't as bad, either. After 12 years or so I just replaced the bags last weekend. I neglected them and blew one out not long ago.

Wish I could help you with your rack issue, but I have no clue about that stuff, haha. I took the easy way and went the pre-packaged route and bought a Leitner designs ACS forged setup.
Thats a hell of a journey. Im in SW MO so no deserts for me, just trails. Scored a toolbox for some leather restoration on a buddies king ranch so that will store some fun stuff. Rescue/recovery gear, some tools, maybe bunker gear if its not too awkward to get out. Lol. I did look up that roof rack system, very interesting piece of kit

PandaMonium 428

Rank IV

Traveler III

First Name
Andrew
Last Name
O’Connell
I have a 2500 quad cab with a 8ft bed( aka “ the white whale”) I have a custom rack that mounted to the top of the bed below the shell. It was 4 down post that are wider than the bed. It looks like a lumber rack.It extends over the cab 4 feet. I carry kayaks and surfboards on it. It hold everything I put on it. Make sure the down post ties into steel that runs the full length of the bed under the shell. A buddy built one and it crushed the bed where the feet tied into the bed. Check out the mfg’s of lumber racks in you area.
Plan is to just do two separate racks. Front will host front lightbar, side lights and possibly 2 jerry cans of fuel. Some pelican cases maybe. Camper shell will have more side lights and some rear spots, 270 awning, tent, 4” PVC pipe water heater shower thing i’m making that can hold approx 5 gallons of water, Recovery boards etc need a place to mount some antennas too. Such a long list.

PandaMonium 428

Rank IV

Traveler III

First Name
Andrew
Last Name
O’Connell
I am loving the full size dodge builds. I’ve got an 05 2500 with the 5.9 and a six speed. That 07 is a nice looking truck. Looks super clean. I am really curious about the hd Carli springs. I’ve got their sway bar and and hopefully going to continue piecing together one of their systems. So far I’m not sure what I want to do with the rear.
If you’re talking about mine, thank you. I just started a detailing business after doing it since 2005 for other people, as well as my job as FF/Medic. I hate having dirty vehicles, especially rust underneath. I know i want the carli back country kit with some airbags, some nice beadlocks and ko2s. LED fogs, blacked out bixenons, probably plastidip it grey

PandaMonium 428

Rank IV

Traveler III

First Name
Andrew
Last Name
O’Connell
I called Carli and talked to a couple of folks there. one was more interested in driving dirt roads at high speeds, the other was talking to me about how I drive and where I go. The best thing was adding progressive springs on the rear end. I went from 4(?) to 10 springs. the unloaded ride is so mush better, the loaded ride is about the same.
Yeah it rides well when i have all my detail gear back there, empty it would shudder your eyelids off

Reactions: MMc

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Plan is to just do two separate racks. Front will host front lightbar, side lights and possibly 2 jerry cans of fuel. Some pelican cases maybe. Camper shell will have more side lights and some rear spots, 270 awning, tent, 4” PVC pipe water heater shower thing i’m making that can hold approx 5 gallons of water, Recovery boards etc need a place to mount some antennas too. Such a long list.

I have had lights on top and don’t like them one bit. If you have not driven under them try before you buy. I much prefer to drive behind my light not under them. Those jerry cans will effect you mileage, I put a kayak on top and mileage drops 10%, less if I don’t drive like a demond. Jerry cans are about a arrow dynamic as a shoe box. I racks are for holding toys, the comforts are loaded and unloaded.
Please post your build so I enjoy it too.

PandaMonium 428

Rank IV

Traveler III

First Name
Andrew
Last Name
O’Connell
I wont drive around with the jerry cans on the roof, only for extra fuel when we’re going out. When i get my 50 gal bed tank i wont really need them, goal is over 1,000 miles with onboard fuel. I drive carefully and get good numbers on fuel. 14-20 mpg isnt bad for a heavy bastard like mine. The roof lights dont bother me as long as they don’t bounce light off the hood, the plastidip will help with that either way