05 4Runner build!!

• HTML tutorial

Fergman45

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Member #

I ended up replacing the cv axils.... The boot seals were torn when I bought the car so it was always on the "fix it" list but after I had my first off roading accident where I ran into a stump and bend my right side steering knuckle... I decided to go ahead and replace the CVs at the same time....

Fergman45

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Member #

Next came the bumber build..... I really wanted road armor but I just didn't have the cash.....

I started with a .50" steel plate which I bolted to the factory bumper frame.

I used 3"x3" tube steel .25" thick for the bumper..... I decided to go with strength at the cost of more weight rather then something lighter.

I then sprayed it with rust-oleum and then put about 3 coats of heavy duty rubberized truck bed liner.

When finished I believe it weighted around 200lbs and caused the suspension to sag about .50"

Last edited:

Fergman45

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Member #

I forgot about the body lift.... The 33" tires where an almost perfect fit. They were 3" taller and 1" wider then my old tires. I had to put 1.25" wheel spacers to keep them from rubbing on the a frames. I also had to lose the front mud flaps and do just a little bit of grinding to flush out the body seams in the front wheel wells. The back wheel wells didn't give me any problems with the 33"s. I had full range of turning, and the only time they would rub is when turning sharp angles at an aggressive tilt.... Therefore I decided to install a Toytec 1" body lift..... That solved the rubbing problems.

Fergman45

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Member #

I also forgot about the roof rack ladder and the rear bumper build.

And I'm currently working on a 15gal pressurized shower build mounted to the roof rack...

Fergman45

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Member #

Next came the rock slider steps.

Cut and welded them myself and then had them powder coated. I welded them straight to the frame. Made from 2x4x 1/8' steel tube and 2x2x1/8" tubing welded to 1/4" plates which then r welded to the frame.

Last edited: