Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Dont forget, if you use a snatch block it doubles your pulling power. You could easily get by with an 8-or 10k winch on a 5000 # vehicle.
Yup. I have a good winch-kit from previous vehicles with snatch blocks, tree savers, etc. Back when everything was steel cable we'd also carry these deals that were kind of like a plastic blanket to throw over the cable, but they had pouches on either side to fill with some dirt, sand or whatever is available to contain the cable if it snapped. With synthetics that's not necessary anymore. But, yes: you're absolutely right a snatch block doubles pulling power (minus a little extra frictional loss) so the 10k I ordered for my 5500# GVWR WJ should be more than sufficient. With a winch, I like a little over-kill.

-TJ

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I think that's about the top speed running empty and stock. It's good enough for me because my disco loves 65 mph for some reason. I'm in no hurry to get somewhere anyway and I like to pass a filling station every once in a while !
For some reason this WJ really like's to run 80-85 indicated, which is probably closer to 90 since I haven't corrected for the tires yet. I actually have to keep myself from doing it. The engine is just in a sweet spot and it's moving right along... but it really sucks down fuel at that point. If I hold closer to 70 and don't have anything on the roof I've managed to get in the 18-19 MPG range hand-calculated, which I consider pretty darn good for this old Heep. ;)

-TJ

CatPowerDude

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC
Member #

Little update time. Since the last post I have chipped away at some more maintenance. Installed a new power steering pump, starter, hd steering bars, and noticed my brakes were beginning to squeak a lot. So I ordered some ebc hd towing and performance rotors which are dimpled and slotted, as well has some hd ebc yellow pads. I will install them as soon as I get a chance. Work is still very busy during this covid19 pandemic. I did end up buying and installing the smittybilt x03 gen 3 comp 12.5k winch. I also bought a set of xbull recovery boards to help level out the rig when setting up the rtt. I worked a ton of overtime in February. I think it was about 150hrs or so. I got really board during those long days. So I ended up ordering a bunch of other goodies. So in addition to the winch and brake upgrade I ordered a new lift kit, drive shaft spacer, and a rugged radio for back up communications. I ordered a 4.5" lift kit from RTE. It includes new springs, bilstein 7100 remote res shocks, caster corrected front and rear caster arms, adjustable panhard bar, extended watts links, crossmember spacer, shock mounts, and a ploy bushings kit. All of the lift components should arrive sometime early May as all of it is custom made to order. The driveshaft spacer has already been installed. Still need to order some other odds and ends like extended bump stops, dislocations cones, and a rear sway bar extended quick disconnect. But the new kit should allow a lot more flex and room for some 35" tires once I decide to upgrade my axles and diffs. It also should help out a great deal with how it handles on road, all of the suspension and steering geometry should be back to factory spec once its all said and done.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Little update time. Since the last post I have chipped away at some more maintenance. Installed a new power steering pump, starter, hd steering bars, and noticed my brakes were beginning to squeak a lot. So I ordered some ebc hd towing and performance rotors which are dimpled and slotted, as well has some hd ebc yellow pads. I will install them as soon as I get a chance. Work is still very busy during this covid19 pandemic. I did end up buying and installing the smittybilt x03 gen 3 comp 12.5k winch. I also bought a set of xbull recovery boards to help level out the rig when setting up the rtt. I worked a ton of overtime in February. I think it was about 150hrs or so. I got really board during those long days. So I ended up ordering a bunch of other goodies. So in addition to the winch and brake upgrade I ordered a new lift kit, drive shaft spacer, and a rugged radio for back up communications. I ordered a 4.5" lift kit from RTE. It includes new springs, bilstein 7100 remote res shocks, caster corrected front and rear caster arms, adjustable panhard bar, extended watts links, crossmember spacer, shock mounts, and a ploy bushings kit. All of the lift components should arrive sometime early May as all of it is custom made to order. The driveshaft spacer has already been installed. Still need to order some other odds and ends like extended bump stops, dislocations cones, and a rear sway bar extended quick disconnect. But the new kit should allow a lot more flex and room for some 35" tires once I decide to upgrade my axles and diffs. It also should help out a great deal with how it handles on road, all of the suspension and steering geometry should be back to factory spec once its all said and done.
It sounds like you have a lot of work ahead but for a worthy cause. You obviously know what your doing. Thumbs up !

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
View attachment 129371View attachment 129372View attachment 129373View attachment 129374

The rover is back in the shop getting another new engine courtesy of Atlantic British since it was finally determined after 19 months that it was the engine I bought through them consuming coolant. Hopefully the next engine doesn’t have any problems and I can start taking this thing more places and not worry about cooling issues any more. Here are a few pics from my last outing.
You still have the best looking, most tasteful LRD I have ever seen. I had to settle for Lucky8 bumpers that were not near as unique as yours but they were all I could afford. I added the lucky 8 rock sliders while I was at it. I raised it 2" and added 1" wheel spacers and new 265/75/16 Goodyear A/T meaty tires. So many things my LRD2 was needing cosmetically like A and B pillar trim, lower rear quarter panel finder trim, License plate cover, Third brake lite, all of the perimeter roof trim
(I eliminated it and painted the gutter with truck bed liner) . I've managed to scrounge up all the replacement pieces except the quarter panel trim piece. I had to replace the stop light switch and hood latch cable too. I replaced both front window roller mechanisms and motors. The back window rollers need replacing too but I'm not gonna. I found a used roof rack made in Africa for safari's that I really like. All the trim I had to replace was because of a severe hail storm that damaged it.
How do you like your new engine ?