·:†(2010 Silverado 1500)†:·

• Thread starter Deleted member 14476
  • Start date
  • HTML tutorial
D

Deleted member 14476

Here I'll be documenting the build and adventures of my 2010 GMT900. Here is some backstory on the truck to get you about up to date.

-It started it’s life off as a farm truck in Yuma AZ, where it got the first 100k miles from the first two years.
-Bought the truck off the farm in 2013.
-In the summer of 2017 I was introduced into overlanding by stumbling across Overland Bound's Instagram.
-The truck progress slowed to a halt over the years, becoming an adult with adult responsibilities and I just didn’t have the time to work on it.
-Sat for a year and a half outside until winter 2020 when I finally got it running again.
-Now slowly repairing and upgrading the truck, the right way.

View attachment 208162
Started this truck when I was 16 (now 23). This truck has become a dream build of mine, one trail at a time. OB #7206

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 14476

7206+==========+7206

Current Mods:
-Exterior
Armor
  • Custom built front Valance Bumper with Skid-Plate
Body
  • Softopper Truck Bed Cap (Tan)
  • New gen tow mirrors
Lighting
  • 2013 Silverado Headlights
Wheels/Tires
  • 17" Fuel Offroad "Trophy" Wheels
  • 33" BFGoodrich KO2 A/T Tires
Suspension
  • 2.5 VS RR CDCV Icon Vehicle Dynamics Front Coil-Overs
  • 2.5 VS PB Icon Vehicle Dynamics Rear Shocks
  • Rough Country 4" Suspension Lift
  • Rough Country Upper Control Arms
Recovery
  • Maxtrax MKII Desert Tan Recovery Boards

• 50" lightbar mounted on rack
  • Custom "Chase Rack"
  • Rock Lights
  • Two full size spares mounted in bed
-Interior
Audio/Video Devices
  • Rockford Fosgate speakers
Protection
  • Weathertech Floor Mats
Navigation/Communications
  • Rugged Radios V3 Hand-Held Radio
  • Apple iPad equipped with Gaia GPS

• Custom underseat box and 10" MX sub
  • Cobra CB radio

7206+==========+7206

D

Deleted member 14476

7206+==========+7206
-Future Mods(updated regularly)

Before next trip
  • Fix 4WD
  • Replace worn parts
  • New 33" BFGoodrich Ko2s (ordered)
  • Deaver Spring U-182 Leaf Springs
  • Powder-coat rims all black
  • Back bumper (undecided)
  • 3/16" steel skid-plates (custom)
  • Pro Eagle "Kratos" off-road jack
  • ARB High Output Air Compressor
  • Jerry Cans (undecided)
Eventually
  • Waterproof soft-topper
  • Bed work
  • Paint grille black
  • Rock sliders (undecided)
  • Roof top tent (undecided)
  • Trailer? (Undecided)

7206+==========+7206
=Phases of the truck=
Here are some pictures of the truck through the years of owning it.
IMG_20131115_164155957_HDR.jpg
ENPK8194.jpg
IMG_3358.JPG
Most recent picture of the truck is on first post
7206+==========+7206

Reactions: Arailt and dolli310
D

Deleted member 14476

Went out exploring Fortuna near Yuma Arizona, on a 45 mile trail ride around the area, definitely had to get creative a couple times but made it out with only a couple scratches

D

Deleted member 14476

8/4/2021
Armor, Body, & Suspension Update:

Well heres the update 3 months later.

Finished the bumper which came out fantastic, but now I want a winch and recovery points. I'll figure that out later. Got the Steel-It sprayed onto the bumper in black, it came out alright. It's a little streaky because it lays differently than normal paint in an aerosol can. Figured that out as I went, will redo when it needs to be redone.

Started rust-busting the underbelly of the truck using a wire wheel, wire brush, and sandpaper. Using just some black Rustoleum enamel paint to cover it back up and give it protection. Hoping to finish this up by end of the week. After that, going to get rid of the orange beadlocks. I think I'm gonna use the Steel-It again and paint them with that next week. After that going to start organizing bed space and decide if I'm going to build a setup to sleep back there, or just get a ground tent for this year while I decide on building a rack for a RTT that works with the Soft-top or get a hard shell to mount a rack to.

Also bought new 2.5 supertrick IVD coilovers, the ones with the ext. resi's and clicker adjusters. Now waiting to get the counterparts for the rear, then will be ordering some Deaver's to replace the leafs in the back.

Attachments

D

Deleted member 14476

How do you have rust on a desert truck?
Through lots of hard work, long nights, dedication and never giving up. Lol.

In seriousness, this truck has had some rough miles. Probably half of her 210k miles have been on dirt roads. It's pretty light surface rust all things considered. But, I want to address it now, get rid of it, and do some preventative maintenance.
Edit: Heres a picture example of the rust

Attachments

D

Deleted member 14476

8/23/2021
Recovery & Body Update:

Ordered some Maxtrax MKII Desert Tan Recovery Boards with mounting pins today, still working on cleaning up all the rust on the frame.

Reactions: kostkafex

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Through lots of hard work, long nights, dedication and never giving up. Lol.

In seriousness, this truck has had some rough miles. Probably half of her 210k miles have been on dirt roads. It's pretty light surface rust all things considered. But, I want to address it now, get rid of it, and do some preventative maintenance.
Edit: Heres a picture example of the rust
Nice truck. The black enamel looks good on the frame and underpinnings. I used FluidFilm on mine, something I'll have to re-apply from time to time.

Perhaps before you bought it, that truck may have been used to tow a boat and back it into the water? Or near irrigation on the farm?

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

8/4/21 Update: Well heres the update 3 months later.

Finished the bumper, came out fantastic, but now I want a winch, and recovery points, but I'll figure that out in a couple years or when it becomes a problem. Got the Steel-It on in black, came out alright, little streaky just because it lays differently than normal paint in an aerosol can and had to figure that out as I went, will redo when it needs to be redone.

Started rust busting the underbelly of the truck using a wire wheel, wire brush, and sandpaper. Using just some black rustoleum enamel paint to cover it back up and give it protection. Hoping to finish this up by end of the week. After that, going to get rid of the orange beadlocks, think Im gonna use the steel-it again and paint them with that next week. Anddddd after that going to start organizing bed space and decide if I'm going to build a setup to sleep back there or just get a ground tent for this year while I decide on building a rack for a rtt that works with the softtop or get a hard shell to mount a rack to.

Also bought new 2.5 supertrick ivd coilovers, the ones with the ext. resi's and clicker adjusters. Now waiting to get the counterparts for the rear, then will be ordering some deaver's to replace the leafs in the back.
I built a platform for mine. Put tools and gear in totes that wheeled right under the platform. Then used an old sleeping bag, air mattress, then my newer sleeping bag on top of all that for a bed. It was pretty good. No need for a tent, all my gear was dry. Lockable. Rack (Truck Cap Rac) on top of the cap (Leer 180) for kayaks or whatever.
Mines a 14 Sierra. Great truck to do wide open spaces, highway, and trails.

We ended up doing about 5742 miles. Camped in the Badlands and Pawnee Grasslands. Couple other spots. It was great to be off the ground and to be able to have my legs straight overnight

D

Deleted member 14476

Nice truck. The black enamel looks good on the frame and underpinnings. I used FluidFilm on mine, something I'll have to re-apply from time to time.

Perhaps before you bought it, that truck may have been used to tow a boat and back it into the water? Or near irrigation on the farm?
Thanks man! The enamel I know will work pretty well, and if I have to respray it wont be too worried about it. and Yeah who knows lol, being a farmer myself I know the kinds of hells some of these trucks can be put through.
Platform build
That’s near exactly what I was thinking on doing for sure! I think thatll be tacked onto the project list for before winter hits.

D

Deleted member 14476

Trying to figure out what roof racks are available for this truck, I know MRack by KC is an option but still trying to look around.

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

I'm between RAM 1500, Chevy Colorado ZR2 and Trail boss, yes it's big spread, but I don't want to make mistake to buy a wrong truck for long trip over summer and short with off road during other times of the year. So my question to you, how do you like G80 with 35's ? Is it enjoyable or it's like too much pushing to get over the rock. Lime I had Cherokee Limited and it was not SUV for the east road with rocks (not rock crawling), I have to pushed and jump over it.

D

Deleted member 14476

I'm between RAM 1500, Chevy Colorado ZR2 and Trail boss, yes it's big spread, but I don't want to make mistake to buy a wrong truck for long trip over summer and short with off road during other times of the year. So my question to you, how do you like G80 with 35's ? Is it enjoyable or it's like too much pushing to get over the rock. Lime I had Cherokee Limited and it was not SUV for the east road with rocks (not rock crawling), I have to pushed and jump over it.
Out of those three, the ZR2 is definitely the most off road capable. You would be sacrificing the extra room of a full size truck, for that extra performance though of course. I run 33 inch tires on my truck, I wanted to go up to 35’s but it would sacrifice the reliability of the truck without some major upgrades that I’d just rather not do, to me 35’s just usually arent justifiable if the truck can’t handle it from factory for this style of off-roading.

Reactions: Neon Paradise

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

That IS kind of a big spread. Im the same way though.

Between the 3 I would probably go Trail Boss but I like full size trucks. I like the small and mid size trucks too. I just never owned one.

Keep in mind, because of its AFM/DFM, the full size chevy 5.3 liter v8 gets the same or better fuel economy as the normal gas v6 Colorado. So if you are thinking about that midsize Colorado truck just to satisfy a fuel economy number, you may think again.

If parking in the city and riding tight trails are your thing, by all means, go with Colorado zr2.

No offense to anyone, but in my estimation, Dodge (or Ram or whatever they call it now) builds a 500,000 engine wrapped in a 50,000 mile truck, so I tend to shy away from them. But I will say the technology in the new Ram trucks is something to write home about

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

My main concern for the Chevy is their G80 locker and traction system. It's on paper look good but go to forest roads and push the 8000lbs truck over obstacle hoping your locker is locked before sliding to the tree. But the trail boss is looking very good with option, size and used car prices.