Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Hey all -

Thought I'd post up my build up of my 2003 Chevrolet 2500 Suburban LT purchased new in 2003. Factory equipped : Vortec 6.0 LQ4 320hp/360tq, 4L80E HD Transmission, AutoTrac 4WD with hi/lo, skid plates, G80 auto-locker, 14 bolt semi float 4.10 gears. Every available option with the exception of the load leveling rear air suspension, 4 wheel steering, DVD system and the 8.1 big block.

Current setup:
  • MB 352 wheels 16x8.5 on 285/75/16 BFG KO2
  • Cognito 2.5" leveling kit with Fox 2.0 shocks front/rear
  • Cognito pitman and idler arm brace
  • Cognito 2" u-bolt kit to maintain the factory rake
  • Bilstein Steering Stabilizer
  • Supersprings Sumo oversized bump stop
  • Full LED conversion interior and exterior
  • Headlight and fog lights Silverstar ZXE 4300k halogen
  • Optima Yellow Top
  • NGK Spark Iridium plugs with new OE COPS

Completely Stock in 2004 well only replaced the factory exhaust with a custom Magnaflow exhaust.

Fast forward to 2014 started looking at a new set of BFG K02. Previous set of tires where BFG KO 265/75/16 on the factory wheels.

New set of MB 352 wheels 16x8.5 on 285/75/16 BFG KO2 Stock hight:

This setup rubbed bad in the front, had to do some trimming up on the air dam then a call to Cognito for the 2.5" UCA and Fox 2.0 shocks to clear the tire.

Added the rear Cognito u-bolt kit 2.0 with the Fox 2.0 shocks to maintain the factory look.

Then found the ride quality even with new UCA shocks where still not up to snuff..replaced the worn factory bump stops with the Supersprings Sumo bump stops:

added this with the Bilstein 5100 series steering stabilizer:

With current setup:
Really happy with the dampening with the Fox Shocks and the proper factory geometry of the IFS is maintained vs just keying. The bump stops literally fixed the bottoming out it feel on drop offs (bigger so activates sooner) with an added bonus leveling the burb on turns.

Last edited:

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Next up:
  • Z71 roof rack swap
  • Cognito HD sway bar end links - done
  • Rare Parts Extreme duty idler arm with idler arm bracket - done
  • Rare Parts Extreme duty pitman arm - done
  • Rare Parts Extreme duty tie rods - done
  • GM factory CV
  • Sulastic Shackles
  • Roof rack undecided
  • Tepui Roof Top Tent Kekenum XL rugged
  • Supersprings rear leaf spring support
  • Front ARB Bull bar bumper with 12lb winch
  • Undecided yet on rear bumper w/ tire carrier setup
  • External LED lighting once I figure out my rack setup
  • Rock sliders or N-Fab bars
  • ARB selectable locker

Last edited:

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Thanks fellas some pics of the components

Stock vs Bilstein Steering Stabilizer - I'd say definitely beefier!

This kit is the 2.5" leveling kit with Fox shocks, braces, end links and and tie rods from Cognito which makes a world of difference if you want to stick with IFS and 33" tires. Not shown here but I went with the Cognito 2" lift block for factory rake. 1" lift block if you want the leveled look.

Awaiting more mods...lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Thanks Boss!! My steering is not horrible, but it has plenty of room for improvement.
Depending how many miles you have you may want to look at replacing your idler/pitman arms along with the Cognito steering brace at the sametime if you have a little play in there. Also look at upper and lower ball joints if you have some abnormal wear. I just greased my setup after 110k mile lol I bought a Harbor Frieght grease gun and 15-20 m later done (12 zerk fittings).

Jasonb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgetown, California, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Bath
Member #

Ah, another full size gm guy! Nice build ! I just sent some links (thanks to you) to my buddy with an 03 tahoe regarding the steering upgrades. He will be a member this Friday. We just rebuilt his whole front end and added a rough country 6". I will start my build next month.

Sent from my SM-N920V using OB Talk mobile app

Jasonb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgetown, California, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Bath
Member #

Well, softer front springs and a shackle flip in the rear to start. After that it's the outfitting part of our motto lol. I am going to start fab work on a front winch mount/bumper. Then a rear bumper/ tire carrier. Got the roof rack I wanted. Then, on board air. I have an old York style a/c compressor that I will mount under the hood and run it off a 12v motor. It's easier then making brackets and engine driving it. Then front chromolie front axle shafts with a limited slip. If not an ox locker. You know. Everything lol

Reactions: boss324

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Well, softer front springs and a shackle flip in the rear to start. After that it's the outfitting part of our motto lol. I am going to start fab work on a front winch mount/bumper. Then a rear bumper/ tire carrier. Got the roof rack I wanted. Then, on board air. I have an old York style a/c compressor that I will mount under the hood and run it off a 12v motor. It's easier then making brackets and engine driving it. Then front chromolie front axle shafts with a limited slip. If not an ox locker. You know. Everything lol

I seen some on this site drop some GMT800 seats in there K5 which I thought was pretty sweet swap. Lotta GMT800 rigs parting out I imagine. Might as well add that too..lol

Reactions: Old Griz

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Rare Parts Heavy Duty tie rods for 01-2010 HD GM trucks and SUV. I see these in the very near future! 1/2 inch stock rods to 1.5" yeah beefier[emoji16] was going to go with the Kryptonite setup for the lifetime warranty but Rare Parts VAR Alligator performance stated they also have a lifetime warranty. Plus thier corporate headquarters is about 20 miles from me in Stockton!

http://rareparts.com/gm-steering

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using OB Talk mobile app

Last edited:

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

oh yeah! beefy 1.5" HD tie rods from Rare Parts wife picked up for me at their Stockton wharehouse gonna install tomorrow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

I wasn't able to install as I needed the Cognito endlinks that allow clearance for the Rare Parts tie rods last weekend. So Cognito endlinks SBELKHD-1000 we're ordered and came in yesterday. These will fit stock height to 3" leveled Trucks and suvs.

Notice how the sway bar has much more clearance. Just got her aligned nice tight and straight! Really happy with these upgrades.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using OB Talk mobile app

Last edited: