June 2020 WABDR - Washington Backcountry Discovery Route
Monday, June 15, 202008:00 AM Pacific Time (US & Canada)08:00 Hrs GMT -8:00
Thursday, June 18, 202001:00 PM Pacific Time (US & Canada)13:00 Hrs GMT -8:00
- OVERLAND BOUND REGION
- EVENT TYPE
- Dirt Road
- Off Road Tires
- HAM 146.460
Rally Point Notes:
This 3 and 1/2 day overland adventure will combine driving, camping, hiking, and some optional mountain biking or fishing. We start our exploration of the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route (BDR) early on Monday, June 15th. There are 6 sections of the BDR and we'll be doing the first 3 starting at the Columbia River and heading north through Sections 1, 2, and 3 -- ending at Cashmere, WA. Here is our tentative schedule:
Monday, June 15 -- Section 1 -- 100 miles
-- The symbolic beginning of the route involves crossing the "Bridge of the Gods" from Oregon into Washington, just west of Stevenson, WA. We will meet at the Bridgeside diner right near the bridge at 8am on Monday.
-- From Stevenson, we'll head north past Carson and travel Section 1 through the Gifford Pinchot National Forest. Maybe stop somewhere near Takhlakh Lake for a short hike and views of Mt. Adams.
-- We'll camp along the route somewhere near Walupt Lake.
Tuesday, June 16 -- Section 2 -- 130 miles
-- We'll finish up Section 1, refuel in Packwood, and begin Section 2.
-- We'll head east/northeast over White Pass towards Ellensburg, stopping at the Bethel Ridge Viewpoint and Cleman Mountain for some amazing views.
-- We'll stop near Umtanum Creek to camp.
Wednesday, June 17 -- Section 3 -- 60 miles
-- Possibly a morning hike on the Umtanum Creek Falls Trail.
-- We'll finish up Section 2, refuel in Ellensburg, and head north on Section 3.
-- We'll stop near the Beehive Reservoir not far from Mission Ridge. Maybe do some fishing or some mountain biking.
Thursday, June 18 -- Flex Day -- mileage varies
-- Some of us will do some mountain biking near Mission Ridge before driving the final 34 miles of Section 3. You can also go fishing, hiking, or hang out for the day at the Bavarian village in Leavenworth.
-- Head home from here or join us at the NW Overland Rally from June 18 - 21 ! (it is 25 miles from Cashmere to the rally campground)
More info on the BDR:
PNW EXPLRMember# 3030
Joshua BussMember# 24107
Happy BuddhaMember# 21127
- Start Point: Bridge of the Gods, Stevenson, WA 98648, USA GPS Coordinates: 45.66276, -121.90491 Notes: Start of Section 1
- WayPoint 1: Packwood, WA, USA GPS Coordinates: 46.6065, -121.67064 Notes: End of Section 1
- WayPoint 2: Ellensburg, WA, USA GPS Coordinates: 46.99651, -120.54785 Notes: End of Section 2
- WayPoint 3: Cashmere, WA, USA GPS Coordinates: 47.52235, -120.4698 Notes: End of Section 3
- WayPoint 4: 800 Front St, Leavenworth, Washington, USA GPS Coordinates: 47.59559, -120.66194 Notes: Optional: Hang out at the Bavarian Village (June 18)
- End Point: 18623 Beaver Valley Rd, Leavenworth, WA 98826, USA GPS Coordinates: 47.75879, -120.65805 Notes: Optional: NW Overland Rally (June 18 - 21)
This rally point location and route can be downloaded if the buttons are active. The “Launch Google Earth" option will allow you to review the location in 3D. Please keep in mind, actual terrain may vary greatly. This should be used for reference only.Save KML Save GPX PDF Launch in Google Map Launch in Google Earth