Deserts and stars
Monday, November 02, 202006:30 AM Pacific Time (US & Canada)06:00 Hrs GMT -8:00
Saturday, November 07, 202001:00 PM Pacific Time (US & Canada)13:00 Hrs GMT -8:00
- OVERLAND BOUND REGION
- EVENT TYPE
- Dirt Road
- Off Road Tires
- GMRS 15
Rally Point Notes:
I've included my planned itinerary below. If you want to join for any portion of the trip let me know and we can coordinate. I will be working some on this trip and I may need to take small detours to seek wifi -- this may happen and it may not. My plans are subject to change, especially if there is any rain.
Here is the basic plan -- subject to change:
- Nov 2 leave Clackamas, OR around 6:30am and arrive at the Alvord Desert in SE OR before sunset. Camp on the Alvord and hope for clear skies.
- Nov 3 head from Alvord, filling up in Fields, OR and driving to Cedarville, CA to top off before arriving at the ghost town of Vya, NV just a few minutes across the border. From Vya I will complete the eastern portion of the Overland Trail Guides Black Rock Desert trail. My plan is to drive to the Black Rock playa and camp under open sky again for stargazing.
- Nov 4 fill up at Gerlach, NV and drive to Death Valley. Hope to camp at Mahogany flats campground.
- Nov 5 head to Needles to begin the Mojave road. I'll only do this trail if there is at least one other person who is up for doing it with me.
- Nov 7 complete the trail and I'll head out to meet up with family in Southern California.
I'll be taking COVID precautions so please be prepared to mask up and keep our distance if you join me.
- Start Point: Happy Valley, OR, USA GPS Coordinates: 45.447, -122.53093 Notes:
- WayPoint 1: Needles, CA, USA GPS Coordinates: 34.84806, -114.61413 Notes:
- WayPoint 2: Alvord Desert, Oregon, USA GPS Coordinates: 42.53545, -118.45601 Notes:
- End Point: Black Rock Desert, Nevada, USA GPS Coordinates: 40.91073, -119.05601 Notes:
This rally point location and route can be downloaded if the buttons are active. The “Launch Google Earth" option will allow you to review the location in 3D. Please keep in mind, actual terrain may vary greatly. This should be used for reference only.Save KML Save GPX PDF Launch in Google Map Launch in Google Earth