Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

We traded in my 07 F150 FX4 for an 04 LR Disco II. This is how she looked when we brought it home.

The lift is finally here!

Terrafirma 2" Shocks

Terrafirma 2" Springs

Dupli-Color Wheel Paint

Falken Tires x5

Reactions: Lane Boatright

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

Just before Christmas we hit a deer on the way home from the inlaws. That meant time to order a new bumper from the UK. We had this in less the 7 days, and couldn't be happier with it.

This is a First Four Offroad bumper from the UK.

Reactions: ASNOBODY

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

I'm started this project last week by taking some measures, and figuring out the best height. These drawer system is 9" in total height, and 33" deep. It's going to have one full length drawer, a half length drawer, and one storage compartment. The frame is made from 1x1x.065 DOM box tubing. I guess the weight for this to be around 25 pounds.

The top of the platform has a 3" lip to cover up the ARB drawer handles.

We had some good weather today, and I finally had some time to work on my own stuff. I spent the majority of the day today building the rear section of our platform. Tomorrow is supposed to be even nicer, and I plan on finishing the drawer fronts, and the top of the platform.

Made some progress today, and I'm very had with how this one turned out.

Added some turnbuckles in the front, and the back to make sure this doesn't shift.

Got the deck on, and the drawers installed.

Since I'm going to be laminating the top I decided to recess the t-nuts flush with the top of the deck.

Two 28" long drawers side by side that are about 7" high.

I was able to get the finishing touches done today. I added a matte black formica to the top, and drawer fronts. I also trimmed up the edging with some black plastic t-molding. For the drawer fronts I was able to use the ARB Safari drawer locks that I purchased awhile back.

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

Very nice drawer set up. Going to have to follow this one...and steal your wheel paint...:grimacing:

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Nice fabrication skills. I'm down near St. Louis once in awhile. Any good trails around your area?

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

Nice fabrication skills. I'm down near St. Louis once in awhile. Any good trails around your area?
Thank you. I think it also depends on what you're looking for. There are quite a few offroad parks around the area, but that's not really our thing. We have a lot of forest roads for exploring though, and within an hour from St. Louis. We don't really spend a lot of time in the area unless we're hiking.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Thank you. I think it also depends on what you're looking for. There are quite a few offroad parks around the area, but that's not really our thing. We have a lot of forest roads for exploring though, and within an hour from St. Louis. We don't really spend a lot of time in the area unless we're hiking.
I'm not much into the parks either. I like to explore areas that aren't on the beaten path. I'm always searching for a real life Normal Rockwell painting. If you know of any interesting areas to explore, please let me know. The wife and I are trying to figure out some weekend getaways this summer and have been looking at states around us, such as Illinois, Missouri, Wisconsin, etc. Thanks.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Oh, and sorry for derailing your build thread. Looking forward to seeing what else you do to the Disco. I've always wanted an LR, but never is in the budget.

deeker

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

SW Ontario, Canada
Member #

Love that bumper. I was looking at one of those before I sold my DII. We have similar tastes in wheel colour, too. Nice job on the drawer system and tailgate, too.

Here's what my wheels looked like. We loved the Disco. Loads of space, good power, great driving position...

Reactions: TMP and Luis Merlo

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

Love that bumper. I was looking at one of those before I sold my DII. We have similar tastes in wheel colour, too. Nice job on the drawer system and tailgate, too.

Here's what my wheels looked like. We loved the Disco. Loads of space, good power, great driving position...
I'll have to show this to the wife. She's been eyeing a roof rack like that for quite some time now, but I keep telling her no. The bumper is pretty nice, and I'm glad that we went that route. I've since welded a small hoop on the front to give it a little more protection.

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

Had to show some love to the Rover this weekend. This was still on OEM front pads, and rotors after nearly 90k miles. So it was time to do an upgrade on those. After researching options for about a week I finally made a decision on what to get. I went with DBA 4000 Series rotors, and EBC Green Stuff pads. Disc Brakes Australia (DBA) has long been used on Disco's, and are very good rotors.

Next up was replacing the OEM pan hard bar with a Terrafirma adjustable pan hard bar. Having a little ability to adjust was good since this is lifted.

Last edited:

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

I took care of some more front end suspension parts this weekend. I was able to replace the steering stabilizer, track bar, tie rod, TRE's, and new passenger side shock. I also took on the task of building some new front sway bar links. Having made a couple sets of sway bar links over the last couple year I thought it would be pretty easy. Hardest part was cutting off the old ones.

The pile of old parts. Most of it is going in the trash since it's pretty well shot. Not sure how the front shock blew, but it had zero rebound to it. The TRE's were pretty dried up, and the stabilizer was dead as well.

Just cut off the sway bar link on both sides.

New drop clevis installed.

On to the heim.

The newly assembled link, and the first set I've ever made for a Rover.

New sway bar link with the new steering, and pan hard bar.

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

I was also able to help my wife with her project. Funny how this became mostly my project once I started. The headliner has been saggin in this thing since we got it almost two years. I was able to haggle some money due to it since it was supposed to be easy. Well, two years later I'm finally getting to this. The cleaning is done, and the prep work also. Now we have to wait until Tuesday for the new liner to show up. I'm not going to say what that is yet. So you'll have to wait until at least Tuesday.

After peeling off the liner, and dealing with the sicky foam.

Using a body putty knife made quick work of the foam, and I used a shopvac to help in the clean up.

All cleaned up, and now waiting the liner.
[